Does Health Insurance Cover Hearing Aids?
Unfortunately, most private insurance companies cover audiologist fees and other hearing examinations, but do not always pay for hearing aids. Insurance covers also vary by state, so it will be ideal for you to check your insurance plan in your location and with your medical insurer.
So, before you choose an insurance company, find out whether they cover hearing loss, even if it is partially.
Some insurance may offer some benefits like:
- Discounted prices for the hearing aids
- Offer checkup to its customers for free.
- Free maintenance of hearing aid devices
- Free hearing screening test
- Some insurance companies offer warranty for a given period.
The law requires that insurance companies provide coverage for hearing aids if they are below 18. Some insurance companies have complied in some states while others have not. So, when choosing an insurance company in your state, consider selecting one that covers hearing aids.
Studies have shown that children who use hearing aids at an early stage are more likely to develop a clear hearing ability and communication.
What Causes Hearing Loss in Children?
Some children are born with hearing loss while others develop hearing loss as they grow. Here is a list of the possible cause of hearing loss:
- Premature birth
- Exposure to loud noise
- If they experience sickness like meningitis early, the high fever related to it causes hearing loss.
- Stayed for long in the neonatal intensive care unit.
- Family history of hearing loss
- Birth related complications
- If the child develops hearing loss early in her life
How to Help Your Child Take Care of Their Hearing Aid Devices
When your child is still young, it's the parent's responsibility to take care of the hearing aid and teach the child to take care of it themselves when they grow. Generally, a hearing device is likely to last longer if properly taken care of, well maintained and cleaned.
- Regular cleaning of the hearing aid by removing wax.
- Let your pediatric audiologist remove your child ear wax regularly, do not do it at home.
- Ensure the hearing aid does not come in contact with water.
- Change the batteries so that they do not spoil the hearing aid.
- When your child hearing kid is not in use, ensure it's off to save on energy consumption and lifespan.
Treating hearing loss in children
Your child's audiologist will first examine the cause of hearing loss and how severe it is. They may choose to offer treatment or possibly recommend hearing aids.
- Use of hearing aids: A hearing aid may help your child regain their hearing ability. Furthermore, they come in different colors that kids like and have devices to hold them to avoid getting lost.
- Speech therapy: Speech therapy helps children who experience hearing loss, or those introduced to hearing aids to learn how to communicate.
- Assistive listening device: This includes an FM system that enables the child to communicate with others, especially during learning sessions.
- Cochlear implants: These devices are used by children who cannot be able to use hearing aids.
Walk the Journey with Your Child
Before your child gets used to using the hearing aids, you may find them pulling it and as parents, you need to be patient and never tire of teaching your child because it's crucial to have their hearing aid and how they will maintain it. Let your child put on the hearing aids and engage them with plays. They will forget to pull them away, and with time, they will love having them.
Financing Children Hearing Aids
Depending on the state you live in, it's essential to check with your insurance provider if they cover part of the total hearing aid cost. You may as well seek advice from your audiologist. Insurance may also limit the coverage, so be sure to seek detailed information.
Several organizations offer donations and subsidized hearing aids for the kid with hearing impairment.
Is It Possible to Use a Credit Card to Finance Kids' Hearing Aid?
Credit card use comes in handy in financing the hearing aids and other hearing needs for your child as long as you have been approved to use them.
Hearing loss can be reversed and treated. A hearing aid is also available to aid in hearing. Hinderliter Hearing Services will hold your hand for any hearing loss assistance. Call us today at 248-430-8425.